Monday, September 25, 2006

The Warrior Stage

I have reached a cross roads in my martial arts journey. I have been experiencing some frustrations in my training in recent weeks. I am feel like I am not achieving my full potential and that I am being held back by the school. The people I train with are not at my level and consequently there is no challenge from them. This semester we I am not learning a new form - it is new to my peers but it is just review for me. I find the training just not realistic or practical enough for me and it will be years (black sash) until I will be able to start receiving this training. My contract with the school approaches and I have decided to look for alternative styles in the area that might meet my needs more.

I was going to arrange a meeting with my Sifu to explain this and before I had the chance this weekend he asked to talk to me. I was invited to join the instructor training program at the school and join the 'Masters' group where the training level will be stepped up. It was interesting timing. I explained my feelings of frustration to Sifu maury and rather than being disappointed with me he seemed almost pleased. At my level of training students often go through a 'warrior stage' where they feel a level of frustration with the training and they either see it through, find another style or quit altogether at that point. It demonstrates that the student is ready for the next level of training.

I have decided to find out more information about an alternative style and also the advanced training at the kung fu school. My style of choice is one that I have been very interested in exploring for many years now - Ninjutsu. There is a Ninjutsu school only 20 minutes from me in Providence that I will look into this week. It seems to be exactly what I am looking for and so it will be interesting to meet the instructor and observe some classes.

It will be time to decide which road to head down on my journey soon.

Nick
Green Sash

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home